Belford Hall

Belford Hall –

Belford Hall is a Grade I listed building, an 18th century mansion house.

Please respect the privacy of the community at Belford Hall. Visits may be made but by prior arrangement only.

Summer 11:00am – 4:00pm, Winter 11:00am – 3:00pm, excluding Christmas and Easter.

For Further details contact John Harris on 01668 213576

Holy Island Crossing Times

Belford Hall

Heritage Open Days 2012.

Belford Hall will be open, free of charge, from 11.00 am to 4.00 pm on Saturday 8th and Sunday 9th September.

Guided tours of the communal areas and the gardens will be offered at frequent intervals throughout the opening time.

Light refreshments will be available for which donations will be welcomed.

Belford Hall Management Co. Ltd. regret that there are no toilets or baby-changing facilities open to the public and that disabled access is not possible to the Wine Cellar or to the servant’s tunnel.

There will be display of documents relating to the history of the Hall, its features and its place as the focus of the 18th and 19th century estate and village of Belford. There will be an adult and child quiz.

The Hall will also be open, for pre-booked visitors only, on Friday 7th September. It would be appreciated if any party of more than 12 visitors could give some notice before the Saturday or Sunday.

email Hall

Belford History Society

The Manor of Belford was acquired by the Dixon family in 1726 and in 1752 Abraham Dixon built a mansion house in a Palladian style to a design by architect James Paine.

 The Hall came into posession of Lt. Col. William Clark, Deputy Lieutenant and High Sheriff of Northumberland who, in 1818, remodelled the house and added two new wings, with the assistance of architect John Dobson.

An extensive park, created in the mid 18th century, retains several original features and has been designated a conservation area. An 18th century folly in the park is a Grade II listed building.

During World War II Belford Hall was requisitioned by the army and thereafter became neglected and dilapidated. In the 1980s it was acquired by the Northern Heritage Trust, renovated and restored. and converted to residential apartments.